Friday, May 22, 2009

beauty....

so, when i was in high school i couldn't wait to get out of Tomahawk. seriously, i was just so ready to get out of here, sure i would never come back. i even thought when i visited why do people stay here, why do people want to live in tomahawk? it's so small and in the middle of nowhere, and to be honest, i judged people, i thought if they stayed here it meant that in their lives they were doing nothing and going nowhere......
and then i lived all over, well not all over, but i lived in vancouver for years and i LOVED living in the city, walking down commercial drive, getting a coffee, picking up fresh fruits and veggies for dinner and it costs me barely anything. i loved the music, the people, all the little shops.....all the coffee shops....that was probably my favorite part, you could see the mountains, take a short bus ride or sky train down to the ocean..lovely, it was lovely....
but we left canada and moved back to the states to madison, and i never loved madison, not at all. i made a great friend and so did kael and mike in our friends Katie, George and Georgie, and they were really the best thing that came out of madison, but nothing about the city itself left me satisfied..
and now we live in tomahawk again. And today i was just struck by the beauty of this place. the trees all around you, in our backyard we have birch trees, maple, lilac bushes, crab apple trees, apple trees and many plants plants....it's gorgeous. i sat in my back yard this morning and breastfed owen and no one could see me, the air was fresh and crisp and it was relaxing. now that i have kids and i'm in this place n my life this is the spot for us. ( i'm not saying we won't ever move) but I could make my mom dinner tonight to celebrate her birthday....kael could play outside today while i made dinner, the breeze is wonderful and i feel refreshed. and i feel also like i am a part of what is doing, that there is a place for me here. a spot to fill, where i am needed and where God will use me to reach people. i am sorry to anyone i judged for living in their small town, i love both city and country and right now , this is the place for me and my family and it's beautiful. the nature around me awakens something in me, let's me breathe deeper....feel closer to God. i love it here. and i never thought i'd say those words.

2 comments:

Heather said...

i know just what you mean jessi. it's the same with me and my small town where i grew up.. always thought i needed to get away and now i could not imagine being anywhere else. awesome. thanks for reminder to be thankful. love you.

globebug said...

That's lovely to hear Jessi. The Good Lord is wise beyond all understanding and we change our minds all the time! Enjoy being one with your surroundings. :)